Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:48:56 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Geoffrey Robinson" <geoffr@globalserve.net>, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing on a System with Too Much RAM

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 12:55:33 -0400, Geoffrey Robinson wrote:

>Okay, this is exactly what I did
>
>- entered -c at the boot prompt
>- when it got to the Kernel Configuration Menu I selected CLI mode
>- entered iosize npx0 32768
>- entered ls to verifier that the iosize of npx0 was set to 32768 (it was)
>- entered q
>
>It then panicked and rebooted as expected but after rebooting npx0 returned
>to the default and it panicked again. Did I miss something?

You're doing this during the install??
In your original message you implied you had it installed and it failed
during reboot... Did I misinterpret??
Here's what you said:
> >I'm trying to install FBSD 2.2.7 on a server with a gig of RAM. Problem is,
> >when it reboots to load the generic kernel for the first time

This method I mentioned will probably only work if you're booting off
the hard drive because I believe it makes the change "sticky" by
putting the info in boot.config.  You might try looking at the floppy
and see if it has a boot.config.

Maybe someone else has more ideas, but I believe another option might
be to have someone build a GENERIC kernel limited to 32MB for you and
let you download it from somewhere.

On the other hand, maybe your problem is really something else, because
the GENERIC kernel often doesn't see memory above 64MB. Perhaps your
motherboard's BIOS is able to report all your memory, but seems
unlikely.

If no one else has any ideas, I'd be willing to build a 32MB limited
GENERIC kernel and post it on my web site...

Another possible option:
can you remove some of the memory until after the install??  If you
could do that, you could verify that too much memory is indeed the
problem, and we can then determine how much will work.  If you can
install with less memory, then you could probably build kernels with
increasing amounts of memory until the limit is reached...
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.