Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 18:30:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Bob Vaughan <techie@tantivy.stanford.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange 3.2 breakage.

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Bob Vaughan wrote:

> sources cvsuped late last night (5/30/99).. woke up this morning to find
> that make world died during the install phase..
>
> ===> bin/rmdir
> install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   rmdir /bin
> install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 rmdir.1.gz  /usr/share/man/man1
> ===> bin/sh
> install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   sh /bin
> install: /bin/sh: Text file busy
> *** Error code 71
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> You have new mail.
> root-tantivy-[6:30am-129]#t> make world
> /bin/sh: not found
> *** Error code 1

I'm quite sure what happened was that you didn't have enough
space available on your / partition to make a temporary copy of
"sh" on it and have "install" rename() the new sh over the old one.
It probably then tried to overwrite the /bin/sh and failed, and
for some broken reason decided to then delete /bin/sh!

This is really icky behavior imo.

If you are running softupdates on your / partition, I suggest you
turn them off while installing world, this will prevent you
from running out of disk space, because softupdates doesn't immediatly
free blocks from deleted files you can get "out of space" errors,
which makes "install" attempt to overwrite.

If you are not running softupdates on /, I seriously suggest you
try to clear some space.

try locating "sh" in the compile tree and manually putting it in
/bin, then try this:

mount -o sync -u /
cd /usr/src ; make reinstall

when done: