Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:57:37 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Compiling Packages

--cvVnyQ+4j833TQvp

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:41:02AM +0000, Peter Risdon wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>=20
> >On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 05:44:14AM -0500, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> >=20
> >
> >>A few days ago, I posted that packages are not as current as ports are =
on
> >>FreeBSD. When I made that statement, someone, I forget whom, claimed th=
at
> >>they need more machines to compile the code and wanted to know if I wan=
ted
> >>to donate, or words to that affect.
> >>
> >>In any case, would that refer to donating an actual computer, or simply
> >>donating computer time? I have three computers, only one running FreeBSD
> >>at this time. I certainly am not going to give away any of my computers,
> >>but I would be willing to share time on one of them if that would help.
> >>  =20
> >>

> >What would be useful is multiple (e.g. at least half a dozen) fast
> >machines with good network connectivity. =20
> >
> Out of interest, how fast, how big a connection, how much disk space?=20

Currently I use 8 pentium 3 750's for the i386 builds, so anything
significantly bigger than that would be a net win.  A package build
needs to download about 10-15GB of distfiles, and probably the same
order of magnitude of packages from the master server (which may be
local).  Disk space is not such an issue, although the build process
is currently optimized for a local master with >50GB space, and the
clients only need ~5GB each.

> And can building be scheduled for off-peak times?

Right now, not easily.  Over the next few months I hope to rewrite the
build process to use Sun GridEngine, which will allow much more
flexible control over which machines to use for which builds.  At that
time I should be able to make better use of smaller remote build
resources, but for now the only thing that would be really useful to
me is a large cluster on a single LAN.

Kris

--cvVnyQ+4j833TQvp

--cvVnyQ+4j833TQvp--