Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:47 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hardware List" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Michael VanLoon" <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
Subject:   Re: Best behaved  drives for FreeBSD?

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:37:28 -0400, Gary T. Corcoran wrote:

>I don't think so.  My understanding is that ATA100 uses the *same*
>cables as ATA66 - they were just able to squeeze another 33MHz of
>performance out of them.

No.
From http://www.ixbt-labs.com/storage/ata-100.html

Having weighed all pro and contra, Quantum developed
a new ATA/100 interface with additional speed, which
allows transferring the data at 100MB/sec along the
host-to-drive bus and hence to unload the HDD buffer
memory. This new interface incorporates all the
innovations made to the cables and connectors
supporting ATA/66. Just to remind you let us say once
again that ATA/100 interface requires the same good
old 40-pin IDE cable used in ATA/66. However, since the
burst transfer rates have become considerably higher,
better protection against crosstalk and electromagnetic
noise interference turned out necessary. For this
particular purpose 40 additional ground lines were
tied together and acted as shields between the lines
that actually carried live signals back and forth. So,
altogether the new ATA/100 cable is composed of 80
conductors. However, the developers wanted to retain
the conventional 40-pin connector, so that to ensure
plug compatibility with existing drives and systems.

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate