Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:24:26 -0800
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with APM suspend in 5.3-R

Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:42:57PM -0800, Dave Walton wrote:
> D> I've been unable to get APM suspend/resume to work with 5.3-R on my
> D> Thinkpad 770Z.  As released, 'apm -z' causes a lockup (it worked fine in
> D> 4.x).  Revision 1.233 of ata-all.c fixes that, and 'apm -z' now causes
> D> the system to properly suspend to disk, as it had before.  However, when
> D> the system resumes, it spits out three errors regarding pir0, then
> D> panics.  This happens with or without your patch applied to ata-all.c.
>
> pir0? What's that?

Based on dmesg output, it's PCI Interrupt Routing Table.  Whatever that is.

> Anyway this should be another issue, then ATA. Can  you pls show exact errors?

Andrew Belashov posted a patch that removes the pir0 errors, but didn't
fix the panic.  Here is what now appears on the screen when I resume.  I
hope it makes more sense to you than it does to me.

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address   = 0x8
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc061ed2e
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xcde52ac8
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xcde52ac8
code segment            = base 0x8, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 28 (swi5: clock sio)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 1m30s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot.
--> or switch of the system now.