Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:51:36 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        Raymon Gentry <rgentry@aecc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD success and ponderings???

Raymon Gentry writes:

> Now my question - Why would the windows box see the "weakened" packets but
> my BSD box would not?  - anybody?

Different ethernet cards. Different cables. Different port on the hub.

Apparently the Windows boxes didn't reliably see the weakened packets
else you wouldn't have been there.

I've noticed a genuine 3Com card has probably the best UTP media
interface of anything you can buy. Works where others fail. So for
testing you don't want to use 3Com.

For example, a couple of years ago my employer bought a pile of Dell
Optiplex machines with built-in 3C905 compatible NICs. Used the "cat5"
ethernet cables which came with the machines. Several months later one
starts acting up bad enough the user complained. Threw my hands up in
the air and tried a different cable and all was peachy once again.
Checked the cable Dell provided and found while it was wired correct for
DC the twisted pairs were not all twisted. The 3/6 pair were on adjacent
pins rather than split around 4/5. Checked and found all the Dell cables
were that way. The 3Com NIC was making it work anyhow.

Have seen the same thing with Sun S-bus 3Com NIC's. And built-in Dell
3Com NIC's.

More recently I was building FreeBSD firewalls with one 3C905 and one
Etherexpress Pro 10/100 in each machine. Checking things out the 3C905
was working but the Intel card was not. Then tried that cable on the
other machines and found it reliably worked on 3Com but not Intel. One
pair had its polarity inverted in the cable. Apparently 3Com was not
polarity sensitive while Intel was.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net