Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:05:41 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1043881542.fb82dc@mired.org>
To:        craig@2400baud.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NMBCLUSTERS and Kernel config

In <1043354468.3e305364aafdc@webmail.2400baud.com>, craig@2400baud.com typed:
> Im getting ready to go with our FreeBSD production mail server and Ive been
> reading that to optimize network mbufs, specify the NMBCLUSTERS options in the
> kernel.  Ive read that setting this to a quarter of your physical RAM on this is
> the way to go, or devising a number from a mathematical equation based upon your
> maximum number of connections at peak (meaning, 800 connections at peak equals
> an NMBCLUSTER of 25600, or mathimatical breakdown 800 connections X 32K per
> session = 25600KB)
>
> Does anyone have a good way to devise a number for this, or is it really even
> needed?  Ive a GB of memory in a Compaq DL320.  The FreeBSD handbook says
> typically this is set to 1024 - 4096, adding to my confusion of what I need to
> set this to, if anything.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight,

I don't have a good way to figure out what it should be, but I can
make the process of changing it a lot easier.

You don't need toset NMBCLUSTERS in the kernel. You can change the
number in /boot/loader.conf like so:

kern.ipc.nmbclusters="12288"

You still have to reboot the system, but you can continue running the
same kernel.

	<mike