Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 15:35:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   procfs on a different disk..

I have several systems running FreeBSD, one of which I just upgraded to
20MB ram (from 8).  It has a virtually identical configuration to another
system here, with the exception that the SCSI card it ended up with does
not allow booting.  Because of this I was forced to drop in the first IDE
HD I could find.  I set it up as the root disk and placed everything else
on the SCSI disk (the SCSI disk is a quality disk, and is the exact same
as on the other system).  However, I had not completely considered what
would occur.  Despite the nearly exact configuration (same CPUs, mathco's
cache setup--the only difference is the motherboards, one has 72pin simms
the other 30pin--same ns on the ram), the machine with the IDE hard drive
has horrible latencies and high CPU %'s in the stats.  What I'm
considering is that the root partition is used more than I suspected,
and that the IDE disk in it is old (which it is), and the bottleneck is
appearing there-slowing down all processes.

Assuming this were the case what points on the root partition are
high-disk usage?  procfs?  Would it be safe to create a /usr/proc and to
change the fstab to use it, instead of /proc when next booting (this
would put the procfs on the scsi disk)?  Suggestions?  Buy a new SCSI
controller?  Anybody want a cheap-new SCSI controller? ;)

-Brandon Gillespie