Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:09:41 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        cliff@raggedclown.net
Subject:   Re: mail client and browser recommendations wanted

From Cliff Sarginson:
>On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 08:53:15AM -0500, Dave Kaufman wrote:
> i'm currently playing around with kde and
>xfce. am using kmail for my mail
>> but would like to find something that i could use in any window
>manager as i
>> want to explore the possibilities. i noticed that the .descr for pine4
>> indicates that it requires the use of fetchmail or it will leave the mail
>on
>> a server. are there other 'complete' mail packages available. what
do
>people
>> like and use?
>>
>I believ kmail works in other window managers, at least in Gnome. I
>have
>heard good things about sylpheed.
[snip]

I use Sylpheed and have found less to dislike about it than any other
mail client I've used to date.  (That's a less lukewarm endorsement than
it may seem.  I don't make extraordinary demands on a mail client, so
what I need is one that's easy to configure and use, and otherwise
stays out of the way.  Sylpheed comes pretty close.)

> also have used kconqueror and opera for
>browsers. i like the opera better.
>> have been using it in windows but i found it somewhat squirrelly in
>xfce. it
>> would stop responding to the keyboard after a little time. any
>suggestions
>> for browsers too.
>>
>I like Opera as well, but it is a bit rough on the edges in it's
>non-windows versions, I think it is under active improvement however,
>and it is certainly a very pleasnt browser to use.

I'm a long-time Opera-Windows user and was very pleased when Dag-
Erling Smorgrav ported the Linux version to FreeBSD (and did such a
nice job of it).  So I'm not going to be of much use recommending other
browsers.  I can tell you what I'm using for the rest of my setup, which
seems to work very nicely with Opera - no problems at all that I can
think of.

I had used Blackbox for a long time and was very pleased with it.  It's
light, fast, and easy for me to work with.  I've recently started using
Fluxbox, which is based on Blackbox.  It has a couple of little extras I
like (e.g., Opera, as well as other browsers, and Sylpheed are in its
default menu, so I need to do little or no configuration to start using it).

My strong preference is not to load down my system with either of the
big "environments," Gnome or KDE.  (I tried Gnome for a while, first
with xfce, then with icewm.  I found I preferred using icewm by itself,
then tried Blackbox and found it easier to configure and use than
icewm.  YMMV, of course.)  That restricts choice in some areas in
which many of the applications are integrated with Gnome or KDE,
such as audio and file managers.  Re audio, either ascd or wmcd are
fine for playing CDs, and x11amp works for mp3s.  I've used both
tkdesk and rox as file managers.  Currently I prefer rox.

Jud