Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 10:20:42 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which OS does a man page come from? (was: cvs commit: src/bi

On Tue, 07 Aug 2001 02:11:55 CST, Warner Losh wrote:

> : As I said: we add the .Os and .Dd when installing.
>
> How is that different than just copying the mandoc macros that were
> used to build the man pages from the {cd, network, wherever} you got
> the man page sources from?

Um, Warner, the point is that right now, if Greg copies an installed
_source_ manual page from a FreeBSD system, he gets an empty Os macro:

.Os

If we do as he suggests, he'll get a populated Os macro:

.Os FreeBSD 4.5

> Adding the .Os and .Dd at install time seems ugly to me.

Why?  It's just a little Makefile magic.  We don't actually add the
macro, just an argument, and only in the case where there are no
arguments, e.g.

	s/^\.Os$/.Os FreeBSD 4.5/g

Ciao,
Sheldon.