Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 23:39:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        daniel_chen@unc.edu (Daniel T. Chen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord question

Daniel T. Chen wrote,
> Hi folks,
> 	I have a question concerning cdrecord-1.8a22, which is the version in
> the ports for 3.3-RELEASE.  I have been trying to burn some data files
> (um, some music ones  ;-) to a CD-R, but the CD that results is being
> reported as blank in every CD-ROM I insert it into (including the
> PlexWriter 8/20 I'm using).  This is the syntax I'm using:
>
> cdrecord dev=0,4,0 -data speed=8 *
>
> All the output that results is "normal," i.e. I did not find any error
> messages (I already compiled POSIX options into the kernel) to tell me
> that the CD-R was being burned incorrectly.  Am I telling cdrecord to
> use the wrong data type?  If someone could reply directly to me with
> what I'm doing wrong and how to correctly do it, I would be greatly
> indebted.  Thanks for your time!

I think you need to start over again reading the cdrecord(1)
manpage,

      "-data  If  this flag is present, all subsequent tracks are
              written in CD-ROM mode 1 (Yellow Book) format.  The
              data  is  a  multiple of 2048 bytes.  The file with
              track data should contain an ISO-9660 or Rock Ridge
              filesystem image (see mkisofs for more details)."

I believe you want is,

      "-audio If  this flag is present, all subsequent tracks are
              written in CD-DA (similar to Red Book)  audio  for-
              mat.   The  file  with  data for this tracks should
              contain stereo, 16-bit  digital  audio  with  44100
              samples/s."