Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:28:36 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "Thomas Beer" <mailings@analogon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Warning: a geometry of 116280/16/63 for ad0 is incorrect

Dear All,

I searched the web, archives and asked in some mailing lists
with no satisfactory solution. The situation is an Thinkpad
T42 with a 60GB harddisk, XP as well preinstalled as a service
partition. Repartitioning was unproblematic. If I try to
install any of the 5.x branch on t a free primary partition I
get a warning in sysinstall that a geometry of 116280/16/63 for ad0
is incorrect. This is covered largely on the net with no clear
cut solution. It seems to be related with FBSD and (relatively)
large harddisks independent from multi- or single boot systems.
If I try to install a 4.x branch release (4.9/4.10) no warning
will be displayed. Someone remarked that this has not necessarily
to be good luck, but may also destroy my partition.

Could anyone shed further light on this situation and provide
a guiding line how to get FBSD installed without destroying other
OSs?

Quite a long questions for a list like this.

Thanks in advance for any support Tom