Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 02:34:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Anders Andersson <anders@hack.org>
Cc:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>, Alexis Georges <floating_in_space_@hotmail.com>, <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XML Parsing error with Phoenix 0.4.2

Anders Andersson wrote:

> I think it is related to the File::Spec, since it works fine on a box with
> perl5.8 installed in /usr/local but still the system perl in /usr. But with
> the latest changes perl5.8 is not required (nor should it be, since its not
> required on Linux and such) and it doesnt run.

What version of Perl are you using with Linux, or where did you get your
information?  I was unable to get a working Phoenix 0.3 with Perl 5.6.1,
although it did compile and install.  By making no other changes besides
the change to Perl 5.8.0, I was successful (on FreeBSD).  It is possible
to prepare certain files with Perl 5.8.0 and have them downloaded for
people who have older Perl versions.  In fact I was planning to use just
such a kludge until, in discussion with Alan, it dawned on me that Perl
5.8.0 was necessary.  I haven't tried Phoenix 0.4 with older versions of
Perl, but I've seen no sign that supporting them is a priority of the
Phoenix programmers.
--
Trevor Johnson