Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:07:31 -0600
From:      Mike Dean <klaatu@evertek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SoftUpdate woes

Maybe someone can straighten me out on something - from what I have
read, it seems like softupdates are supposed to accomplish many of the
same things as filesystem journaling.  However, in my experience with
them, they seem almost to be accomplishing the opposite objective.  Two
or three times my system has locked up hard (while I was trying to
hot-swap my modular bay - it didn't work.  Scratch that idea.), and I
had to do a hard reset.  Each time, I have lost the latest data I was
working on.  (I haven't been successful yet in disabling soft updates -
my system is all one big root filesystem - so I don't know how it
behaves without them).

Incidentally, before my switch to FreeBSD, I was running Linux (2.4
kernel) with an ext3 journaling filesystem, and anytime I had to do a
hard reset,  I never lost a byte of data AFAIK.

What can I do?  Would turning off softupdates (if I can figure out how -
I tried dropping into single-user mode and doing a tunefs -n disable,
but it seems like it had no effect, even after a reboot) help?  Or is
there something else I can do to my filesystem to have some more
protection?  For the time being I'm running 4-STABLE (if there's
something in 5 that helps with this, go ahead and let me know - I'm
planning to upgrade over spring break in March).

Thanks,
Michael