Date:      Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:50:53 -0800
From:      Replies <replies@shaw.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help!Help!Help!

Hi,

I have just spent over the last two years developing a unique classified =
ads service which was online and had Free BSD as the security on it. We =
ended up with a very aggressive and belligerent programmer who left us =
but left us some nasty little bugs behind to really screw us up.. who we =
now can't find.=20

I need to know how to change or eliminate a root password.=20

As I still have our "test server" in my possession is there any way to =
actually remove the folder that the passwords are held in.....the reason =
I ask this is that when we actually changed the password on our =
"production server" it released some sort of worm that totally crashed =
and eliminated our online site, and all our data we have spent two years =
developing. It also started trying to access other sites which we only =
found out about this when our site crashed and we got compalints our =
from our ISP that our server was trying to agressively access other =
servers out there on the net.

The Only saving grace is that we had it all backed up on our test server =
but it has the same problem...I expect...I believe that he has probably =
left us the same worm in our test server....the unfortunate thing is =
that because we do not know the root password we are worried that if we =
try to crack or eliminate it the same thing may happen...and then we are =
automatically out of business.

Is there any way around this....I can prove I am the owner of the =
site...the URL and the server and any other information you may need if =
necessary....

I really need help as this is 2/12 years work as it stands gone.

Thanks
God Bless
Freddy