Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:00:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Little geek <lg@unixvillain.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feedback on ML 530 servers

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Little geek wrote:

> Hola, I have here beside me a Compaq ML 530 with dual 800 pIII
> xeon's, 512 MB RAM, 6 pluggable U2 SCSI HD's, Compaq 3200 RAID
> controller and a 20/40 DLT drive...
>
> I took a look at the HCL and it seems the my hardware is supported
> for FreeBSD 4.0, but How about 3.x?
>
> I am going to be using this box in a production environment and I
> am looking for the best possible solution for ease of
> administration and maintenance.
>
> What release of FreeBSD do you guys recommend that I go with? And
> is there anything out of the norm I should be aware of with the
> hardware I listed above?
>
> Thanks alot for your time.
>
> -The Little Geek

If you could try 4.0-STABLE out on this thing and report back to the
list wether or not it works, I, for one, would be ultra-grateful.
I'm actually more curious wether the on-board SCSI controller will
work.  We may be buying one of these soon and I'd like to swap out the
current Proliant 3000 I have running FreeBSD with this thing if it
will work.  Ours will only be single-processor using the onboard SCSI
controller, unlike yours with Dual procs and RAID controller, though.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )