Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 06:46:21 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux (was: a couple ?'s)

I only want to comment on two items here:

> (3) Technical Support
>
> If I have to pay for technical support, it rather ruins the effect for a free
> OS. I've noticed that several technical questions important to me have gone
> effectively unanswered on the FreeBSD lists. I have no idea if Linux groups or
> vendors might be better in this regard, or how the cost of paid support
> compares, but it's something I would want to know more about for future
> decisions.

A free OS is still a lot cheaper than one you pay for and with
most of the ones you pay for the technical support costs even
more than the system.  Compare BSDI's prices for upgrades only
versus various levels of technical support.

Technical questions often go unanswered even when you pay for
the answers.  Of course, you do have the option of asking for
your money back, although this may not be easy to accomplish.

I have no information on Linux support since I have no interest
in Linux.

> (4) Saleable skills
>
> Installed base per se doesn't matter to me when I choose an OS for my own
> server. But if I want to do work in the outside world, being familiar with
> Linux might be a big plus, especially as the Linux market share increases.

Anybody with real skills won't have any trouble finding work
with BSD systems.  This is not going to change.  (Of course,
most of the people looking for work don't have real skills and
they will have difficulties of one sort or another anyway.)

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>