Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 19:38:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please don't hurry

> If several hundred users would pre-subscrible for them, you should be
> able to cover the cost of producing and mailing them.
>
> When you finally have a CD set that needs no more changes, go with
> that one, unchanged, as the real production release.  Under no
> circumstances should you make any changes, even trivial ones, between
> the final beta CD and the real production run.  The risk of new bugs
> introduced by last minute changes is too great.
>
> I realize this suggestion would extend the beta cycle to three or four
> months, perhaps unheard of for FreeBSD, but I would like to see the
> final 2.2.X release as near to perfect as possible because it might be
> a long time before I'm ready for anything in the 3.X series, even
> after it goes stable.
>
> While it's true that I can always CVSup fixes if the CD has bugs, if
> you have a pack of production machines to install and maintain, it
> sure is nice to just stick the CD in the drive, install, and be done
> with it.

Well said.  An as a shop that is running production stuff on FreeBSD, I
agree completely about stability.  That's why we're running FreeBSD
instead of Linux, and why we're running 2.1.7 or 2.1-STABLE.

> John

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com