Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2014 12:35:58 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Dave Babb <dcbdbis@comcast.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal Server Software Question

On 09/09/2014 08:16, Dave Babb wrote:
> My new project will be firt in all FreeBSD. Prior I have deployed Linux
> server/client solutions. I've been on FreeBSD 6-7 months and am very
> comfortable with it.
>
> However, in ports, I do not see the no machine server, nor the x2go
> server. I see the clients, but not the servers.
>
> What are folks using when they need the functional equivalent of a
> Windows Terminal Server, if not nx or x2go?
>
> My new project needs to be a graphical server. The new model will be a
> bunch of thin clinets attached to one server. (6 users top, it's small)
>
> Suggestions please (other than VNC)?

X11/Xorg? With xdm you can login to the server that runs the apps and
have all windows drawn locally.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html

You can also ssh to the server with ForwardX11 enabled to run a single
app and have it's windows drawn locally.

That's assuming FreeBSD/Linux at both ends.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Serving Data

Shane Ambler