Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:10:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        alfred@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dynamic update of usb/pci/quirks tables

In message: <20080928201948.GE36572@elvis.mu.org>
            Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> writes:
: * M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> [080928 13:01] wrote:
: > uscanner_devs and sis_devs aren't quirks.  They are device tables.
: >
: > You've repeated ignored the mapping idea that I've posted.  You can't
: > just add stuff to tables randomly and expect that to work (says
: > someone who has actually done this to lots of drivers in the tree in
: > the pccard era).  the driver has to know what kind of device to treat
: > it as.
: >
: > Putting a translation table into the kernel is much easier and you
: > don't have to worry about hokey kludges like what you describe with
: > 'patch'.
: >
: > Maybe it will work out for the other tables you want to update, but it
: > won't work well for device tables.
:
: I really like the idea of using a kmod to just add the new device
: strings.. (some form of what Hans did).

The problem is that except for the most trivial driver, that doesn't
work.  Most of the NIC drivers in the tree do special things based on
what chip they thing they are talking to.  An unknown chip may work,
but it would work a lot better if the unknown chip is compatible with
a specific chip, as opposed to being compatible with the driver.

I'm cool with having the overriden ids also override the device
description too...

Warner