Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:14:07 +0200
From:      Etienne Ledoux <etienne@unix.za.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered. -- HP Netserver LH3r

Ok i fixed my subject a bit.

Well I've tried FreeBSD (4.4, 4.8, 5.0), SuSE Linux 8.1, Redhat 9.0.
All these operating systems fail to detect the hdd and when trying to loa=
d the=20
scsi drivers for it it gives timeout errors (redhat & suse).

FreeBSD gives: (noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered.
=09=09=09(noperiph:sym1:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered.

This made me think that it might be a problem with the hardware configura=
tion.
I've got two exactly the same machines. Both give exactly the same error.

I changed the scsi configuration on one machine. Trying different setting=
s. No=20
change. (except for the few times where my changes disabled the hdd and i=
t=20
couldn't find any OS). I installed the FreeBSD putting the drives into=20
another HP server (which btw also happens to be a Netserver LH3r), and=20
putting them back afterwards. Booting of the cd gives the same error.

What does the error: "(noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered"=20
actually mean ? What is FreeBSD actually complaining about ?

I would assume that these HP servers (we have inhereted a few of them) wo=
uld=20
use the same type of hardware. The server I'm trying to install this on i=
s a=20
HP cluster server which has an external Raid Storage (which is currently=20
disconnected from the servers). The servers themselves are HP Netserver=20
LH3r's. The standalone server I used to do the install on is also a HP=20
Netserver LH3r. The only noticeable difference between the standalone ser=
ver=20
and the server in the cluster is that the standalone server has a single=20
processor and the cluster servers are dual processor. I've removed the SC=
SI=20
card which is used to connect the server to the external Raid Storage and=
 the=20
installation still gives the same error.

Now I could start to think that the hardware might be busted, but these=20
servers were still running Redhat 7.1 a few days ago.

If I want to try using the NCR driver (mentioned below), How would I go a=
bout=20
doing that ?
What else could I try.

Maybe if I understood the error((noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset=20
delivered) a little better, I could try a few other things.

hints/tips/anything appreciated.

Another weird thing I noticed:
- While another guy was installing FreeBSD on an HP pizzabox he also got =
this=20
error: "(noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1):SCSI BUS reset delivered", but it continu=
ed=20
to boot and he was able to install the box. hmmmmm ?

e.