Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:30:15 -0600
From:      John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
To:        "Meyer, Wolfgang" <wolfgang.meyer@hob.de>, "'freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>, "'freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: How to get a crosscompile toolchain for aarch64 for use in poudriere[?]

On 2/10/2017 10:24, Meyer, Wolfgang wrote:

>> I don't know if this will help, but I created a proper [1]
>> cross-compiler for aarch64 last week:
>> http://www.freshports.org/lang/gnatcross-aarch64/
>>
>> John
>>
>> [1] By proper, I mean based on FreeBSD/ARM64 sysroot (currently
>> only Release 11.0 available)
>>

> Thanks, I will look at it next week. Is there a documentation on how
> the toolchain was created, or is it basically along the lines of
> normal gcc-based toolchain creation?

The ports makefiles are recipes.  If you want to know how something is
built, you look at those.  There are many cross-compiler ports in the
tree.  The only thing special about this one is that a bootstrap
compiler is used in order to build the Ada front-end.  But that's just a
case of specifying it over a base compiler.

> Although I somehow would prefer
> if I can manage to base my cross-compile toolchain on the base system
> toolchain.

Good luck, since that's impossible.  Cross-compilers need their own set
of binutils for the target system.  You're not going to be able to do
better than what I did.

John