Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:45:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Abdul Malik Abbasi <abdulmalikabasi@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to block ping from clints

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Abdul Malik Abbasi wrote:

>    Dear sir,
>
>    i want to drop (Deny) all  users from my lan and wan to my Squid
>    Server Runing BSD,
>
>    i just want to allow one my local system to ping it.

Bit of an odd request, but you should be able to do this by blocking
IMCP echo-requests from your lan/wan addresses. You can utilise the IPFW
firewall setup for this (there are details in the handbook).

I'm not clear why you'd want to do this; maybe you're trying to create a
transparent proxy? In which case, there's quite a bit more to it that
this; but the subject has been covered before (google can help here).

>    2ndly i want to stop pop messege from internet .
>
>    tell me which command i will use

I'm not sure if you're referring to the windows messaging client popup
adverts that are apparently quite common these days, or to web-browser
pop-up adverts.

If the former, you need to block the NetBios port range (which is
135-139 udp and tcp - but check with MS knowledge base for up-to-date
security info here) at your firewall.

If the latter, the situation is quite complex and solutions can vary
depending on exactly how you want to go about it. You can simply deny
access to known advertising sources (via squid or firewall) or look at
client browser configuration (there are options or plugins to control
the spawning of new windows via javascript available for pretty much
every flavour of modern browser). A final alternative might be to
investigate "scrubbing" web-pages as they're delivered by your proxy
server.

I'm sorry this is vague; your second question is a bit unclear.

Cheers,

Just because I have nothing to hide doesn't mean I have nothing to fear.