Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:37:38 +0100
From:      Hans Nieser <h.nieser@xs4all.nl>
To:        Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remove a Port and All Dependencies

Jeff Cross wrote:
> I would like to know if it is possible to remove a port/package and all
> of the dependencies it installed that are not needed by other applications.
>
> Example: I installed Nautilus and some Gnome games but don't want them
> installed any longer.  However, if I remove the package itself, doesn't
> it leave all of the other dependencies out there?
>
> Upgrading my system takes forever now that there are a ton of libs and
> such installed by these applications.  So, if anyone can point me in the
> right direction for doing this I would greatly appreciate it.

There is a menu-ish version of pkg_cutleaves called pkg_rmleaves. I use
this to clean up any ports that don't aren't depended upon anymore and
that I don't need anymore. When new leaf-packages (packages that arent
depended upon) are created by doing so it will show them again and allow
you to remove these too (and so on, recursively). I found this to be a
really easy way to clean up an entire system in a matter of minutes.