Date:      Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:04:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Daniel Hepper" <daniel.hepper@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless FreeBSD with grub

Thanks for your hints!
I've read the diskless booting howto before, but I did not yet built a
custom kernel. Now I have a custom kernel with:

options     BOOTP          # Use BOOTP to obtain IP address/hostname
options     BOOTP_NFSROOT  # NFS mount root file system using BOOTP info
hints      "GENERIC.hints"

When I boot this kernel from disk, it shows the device hints, sends out
dhcp-requests and tries to mount / with nfs.

But when I load it over the net, i get the following:

grub> root (nd)
Filesytem type is tftp, using hole disk.

grub> kernel --type=freebsd /freebsd-boot/kernel/kernel
   [FreeBSD-elf, <0x400000:0x446f54:0x0>,<0x847f60:0x7d600:0x4fce0>,
shtab=0>
16438, entry=0x43f2b0]

grub> boot

The prompt disappears and the system reboots after approx. 25 sec.
(The custom kernel has the same behaviour as the default kernel from the
FreeBSD installationdisk)

Where does it tell me where it thinks the root filesystem is?

Greetings,
Daniel Hepper