Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:07:47 -0400
From:      Byron Campbell <wa4geg@surfbest.net>
To:        Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X fails after upgrade to xorg-7.2; FreeBSD AMD64 w/ Radeon 9600 Pro

On Sunday 17 June 2007 7:21:03 pm Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Byron Campbell wrote:
> > Help, X was working just fine until I did a portupgrade
> > of xorg 6.9.0 to 7.2.
> >
> > Looks like X is starting but my LCD monitor just goes
> > black with the monitor's OSD reporting "video input, out
> > of range".
> >
> > I've gone back through Xorg configuration
> > (via "xorgcfg -textmode") and verified correct settings
> > for my graphics card and the monitor's Horz. / Vert. scan
> > frequencies etc., everything being in order.
> >
> > #Xorg -configure gives Driver "ati", Boardname "RV350 AP
> > [Radeon 9600]" and BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
> >
> > I've also run #xorgcfg -textmode choosing Driver "radeon"
> > and Card "** ATI Radeon (generic).." and still no luck.
> >
> > Please help. Anyone have their Radeon 9600 card working
> > in Xorg-7.2 with just a basic / non accelerated setup, or
> > any setup?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Byron
> >

> > System info:
> >
> > FreeBSD 6.2 stable (AMD64)
> > Graphics card: ATI  Radeon 9600 Pro (using the VGA
> > monitor connection jack)
> > Mainboard: MSI KT8 Neo2-F
>
> I've seen this with VGA connections - e.g I've a 9550
> (RV350 AS) and for DVI connection it works fine with the
> file generated by 'Xorg -configure' with accel and drm, but
> with VGA fails with 'out of range'. I needed to tell it
> which display resolution to use by adding a 'Modes' clause
> to the "Display" subsection of xorg.conf e.g:
>
> Section "Screen"
>      Identifier "Screen0"
>      Device     "Card0"
>      Monitor    "Monitor0"
>      SubSection "Display"
>          Viewport   0 0
>          Depth     24
> 	Modes	"1680x1050"  # whatever mode your monitor uses here
>      EndSubSection
> EndSection
>

> Cheers
>
> Mark

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I do have the modes entered,
and even set it to the single mode of "1280x1024" but no
luck.

I went back and ran Xorg -configure again, and noted the
following error messages:

dlopen: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//atimisc_drv.so:
Undefined symbol "ATIMemoryTypeNames_88800CX"
(EE) Failed to
load   /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//atimisc_drv.so

(EE) Failed to load module "atimisc" (loader failed, 7)
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID
PCI:1:0:1) found
(**) RADEON(0) : RADEONPreInit

atimisc_drv.so is present in the above mentioned directory.

My graphics card is the PowerColor ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (RV350
AP)

Byron