Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:59:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        AndrewGould@shannonhealth.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Technical Comparasin 'tween FreeBSD and Linux

> The results:
> Slackware completed the query in 63 seconds (rounded down).
> FreeBSD completed the query in 49 seconds (rounded up).
> (63 - 49) / 63 = 22.22% difference
>
> My test indicates that, in this instance, FreeBSD 4.0 is faster than
> Slackware 7.1.

It is very hard to judge these results.
A fair comparison would involve folks who could tweak either system
very good.

E.g. things like

    /sbin/hdparm -t
    /sbin/hdparm -c1 -d1 hda
    /sbin/hdparm -t

under Linux (in case its hd driver was not set to 32 bit DMA)
or using softupdates under FreeBSD..

Or to say it differently, it is hard to judge if one of the system
was better due to its architecture, or if you just happen a better
or worse configured box.

Regards,
Marc