Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 03:39:36 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jeff Leslie" <tired89@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   locking out users (was [none])

Jeff Leslie <tired89@hotmail.com> types:
> how do set my permissions such that it will NOT let users besides root to
> traverse outside of /usr/home.   thanks

First, please provide a subject line. It makes it more likely you'll
get answers.

You can't do what you describe with just permissions. By setting other
things - for instance, providing a different shell - you can do
that. The simple shell to use is /dev/null. The users won't be able to
log in after you do that, but since the system would be useless under
the conditions you describe anyway, that's not a major loss.

If you want your users to be able to do something after they log in,
how you lock them out of other things depends on what you want them to
be able to do. Knowing more about what you don't want them to do might
help, as well. The most flexible method is to put them in a jail (see
the man page), but there might be easier - and more efficient -
solutions for the particular case you have in mind.

	<mike