Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:51:19 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <bjarne@mekanix.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving setup from one HD to another.

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen writes:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 01:33:15 -0800
> "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net> wrote:
>
> > Pipe dump(8) output on each old partition to restore(8) on the new
> > one.
>
> Hmm... lets see if I've gotten this correct. I create a new partition with
> the necessary slices. I mount them on my old system /mnt/newsystem.
>
> cd into eg /mnt/newsystem/usr/
>
> dump -0 /usr |restore -r and so on for every filesystem. And remember to
> change fstab before booting into the new system.
>
> OR do I create a new system from scratch with minimal setup and then boot
> into it. Mount the old system (/mnt/oldsystem ).
>
> cd into /usr/
>
> dump -0 /mnt/oldsystem/usr/ |restore -r ??

Do it the first way. Write the new using the old rather than copy the
old on top of a temporary new.

Off the top of my head I would type the command line:

# dump 0af - / | ( cd /mnt ; restore -rf - )
# dump 0af - /var | ( cd /mnt/var ; restore -rf - )
# dump 0af - /usr | ( cd /mnt/usr ; restore -rf - )

For quickie emergency backups all you really need are /etc, /var, and
/home. When I used to administer a bunch of machines I kept careful
records of which files got customized in /etc and elsewhere. The record
was in the form of a file list I used for tar to do backups.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net