Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:57:23 -0000
From:      "Paul Robinson" <p.robinson@mmu.ac.uk>
To:        "'Matt Olander'" <matt@freebsd.org>, <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Oracle Meeting Results

Matt wrote:

> Of course, the Oracle marketing engine is concerned if there
> is a viable
> market for gearing up to do something of this nature.

I think we're seeing a steady migration to FreeBSD from Linux, which in
turn is seeing a steady migration from Solaris, which in turn is picking
up the SCO/AIX/HP-UX strays, so strategically it makes sense.

> In an attempt to placate his concerns about supporting a test download
> like this, we informed him that the FreeBSD community is used
> to figuring
> out things on their own, and that we could possibly have a
> couple of DBA
> contacts within the community act as primary contacts for initial
> support and an oracle specific mailing list.

I'm happy to help out in that regard, and I work for a University in the
UK which has an Oracle site license and my department assists tech
companies in the region, and so I might be able to offer some real-world
support as well. I'm relatively new to Oracle, but am looking forward to
getting my hands on the developer's edition and perhaps rolling out a
real infrastructure.

--
Paul Robinson