Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:07:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Technical Director <trodat@ultratrends.com>
To:        Ronny Hippler <bmwz3@attglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: updating 4.8->4.9 did it take?

Hello,

For all of us text based mail client users, please try to wrap at a single
screen width.

Just so we get this right, you cvsup'd 4.9-RELEASE and then ran
/stand/sysinstall?

I might be out to lunch but I think you are going in two different
directions. cvsup'ing down source and then upgrading is a good way but as
far as I know does not require /stand/sysinstall. Please someone correct
me if I am wrong.

If you are cvsup'ing 4.9-RELEASE sources to your computer you need to
follow the directions that go along with this means of upgrading. You can
view them here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

This is AFTER you have cvsup'd the 4.9-RELEASE (or whatever sources you
choose) down to your system.

If you really like sysinstall and want to use that, I believe your best
bet is to create installation meda, floppies or a CD-ROM, and reboot it
with these. Selecting UPGRADE is probably a good bet for you.

As well when you do your upgrade at some point you will have to reboot,
which if everything has gone well, will replace the 4.8 kernel with a new
4.9-RELEASE kernel. IOW -- You should see the 4.9-RELEASE login banner.

Hope this helps.

R.