Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:18:52 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Administration of multiple machines

On 7/21/00, 5:55:48 PM, Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>=20
wrote regarding Administration of multiple machines:

> Our number of FreeBSD servers are growing.  We're also getting more=20
and
> more machines running Linux.  The problem with these two items is that=
=20
I'm
> being asked to administer more and more of these machines.  My=20
question
> is:  what do people use to administer a number of Unix style machines?=
=20
 As
> much as I would like all new installs to be FreeBSD, and where this=20
might
> make the situation a little easier, that is not possible.

> I would like to look at open-source tools first (translation:  there=20
is no
> money to spend on this).  One person mentioned something called=20
cfengine,
> which I'm starting to look at
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/cfengine/cfengine.html>.

> Any information would be appreciated.

> Oscar

Dear Oscar Ricardo Silva,

you may wish to try webmin, which is found in the Ports Collection as=20
well (/usr/ports/sysutils/webmin); you may also wish to search the=20
archives, in particular the -stable archives, for threads such as=20
"Multiple NFS installworld"; further, on a loosely related note, as=20
you probably know, sysinstall can be scripted; finally, you might want=20
to have a look at Alfred Perlstein's recent work at=20
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe.

Incidentally, the archives are really a mine of information :-)=20

HTH at least a tiny bit,
Salvo