Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 2002 23:43:41 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        wgnadt@rri-usa.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help with USB hard drive

In message <20020407200623.76631.qmail@web9205.mail.yahoo.com>, William Gnadt w
rites:
>I've recently acquired a USB (1.1) hard disk enclosure. I can use
>it successfully under Windows AFTER installing the supllied drivers.
>However, it's unclear how (or if) I can mount this drive under FreeBSD.

>ugen0: Prolific Technology Inc. ATAPI-4 Bridge Controller, rev
>1.00/1.00, addr 2pcib2: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=1106 device=3040)>
>at device 7.3 on pci0

If you're feeling brave you could try downloading

	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~iedowse/FreeBSD/uplata.tgz

unpacking it, compiling and then kldload the uplata.ko that it
produces. I got one of these a while ago and I've been working on
and off at putting together a driver. Note that the driver has seen
very little testing (I just added write support a few hours ago),
it still has a few big kludges and it only works with one of the
two revisions of the Prolific PL2307 that exist. Don't use it on a
disk containing anything important!

Note that with the "uhci" host controller, this device like many
others will be dog-slow to transfer anything. Things will improve
a lot when the "bandwidth reclamation" patch makes it to -stable.
A poorly-tested -stable version of that patch is at

 http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~iedowse/FreeBSD/uhci_bandwidth_reclamation.diff.gz

With this I get about 600kbytes/s instead of about 50-100kbytes/s.

Ian