Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:05:01 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        "Robert G. Waycott" <rgwaycott@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [OT] PGP signing ...

--R3G7APHDIzY6R/pk

> Second question: why do many users on the list PGP sign messages? Is
> there something nefarious out there about which I should worry?=20

One reason why I personally sign my email to the mailing lists is
that there is lots of spam with forged From-adresses (and that does not
only apply to spam). When you recieve a signed message from me, you can
be somewhat more sure that that message really orginates from me (unless
you think I sent some spam without signature, of course, or someone
somehow got my private key).

Another reason is "to spread the word" and make digitally signed email a
more common thing.

Something that has got to do with both points is that IMO you have to
sign every single message or none in order not to confuse people.

> Is
> PGP-signing really providing a great deal of security?

The most important thing is of course, that there is the often-quoted
web of trust, i.e. that the key an incoming is signed with is trusted by
the receiver - I admit at least for my own part, that is not the case
far too often.

Regards,
 Simon

--R3G7APHDIzY6R/pk