Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 21:20:53 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        davidc@pdd.3com.com (David Clear)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PC configuration advice wanted.

David Clear stands accused of saying:
> I'm very close to buying what Gateway here in the UK call a
> a "P5-90 Premium Multimedia".  This has:
>
> 	P90 Processor
> 	16MB EDO RAM
> 	1Gb EIDE disk

DO NOT BUY IDE DISK!  Especially with the rest of this config; IDE disk
(and so little of it) would be a Really Bad Idea.

> 	Quad speed CDROM
> 	17" Vivitron monitor
> 	2Mb Graphics card (ATI Mach 64 (?????))

> 	"No!  Don't do it Dave."
> The last point is on graphics.  I'd like 1280x1024.  Will I get it from
> this setup?  If not, what do I need?

Check the monitor's specs to be sure - it needs to do at least 64KHz
horizontal to take 1280x1024 at an acceptble refresh rate.

> Advice is appreciated.

Built quite a few systems very similar - go for an NCR '810 based SCSI
controller and a 2-4G SCSI disk (Seagate Hawk or Micropolis 4- or 3- series).

You'll spend a little more on disk, but the investment is definitely worth it.

> Dave.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[