Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 19:47:32 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, mcdougall@ameritech.net, Kent A Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel config

> > > YAUKO!
> >
> > I have some work in progress to make this option go away (and have
> > kernel.config always parsed).  Are there any strong objections to this?

[inre: the USERCONFIG string at the top of kernel.config]

> The reason it was added in the first place was the fact that these
> commands could also (in the past, at least, haven't checked lately) be
> pulled out of "info block" following the boot blocks.  Since these could
> also contain garbage if uninitialized, I added the explicit check for
> the USERCONFIG string.

Support for reading this data from flat areas of the disk is no longer
part of the bootstrap.  I don't think that there are very many cases
where this is likely to be in use (I seem to recall it required a
special bootblock compilation option).  If there is a strong case for
requiring this signature, though, I have no objections.

Actually, kernel.config is a strong contender for the 'extras' stuff I
developed for the splashkit, but the extra bloat in the bootblocks
would not make me popular, I wot.