Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 00:44:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Bethke <stefan@promo.de>
Subject:   Re: Network stack assumptions

On 11-Aug-98 Mike Smith wrote:
>> Okay, can the kernel cope with a device hanging off a USB port or
>> integrated into the motherboard or a PCI card which provides wireless
>> LAN capabilities with mutliple protocols running on it?
>
> Not as it stands, no.  By this I mean that we have no protocol support
> for these devices, however the infrastructure is there to handle this.

Good, I brought it up as there was a section in the SWAP spec. where <NDA>mumble
company</NDA> said their new OS doesn't have this capability.

>> Asynchronous data is 802.11 style, isochronous data is DECT sytle for
>> SWAP, can't remember the protocols for Bluetooth. They will support a
>> number of concurrent voice calls between handsets/apps software on
>> your PC along with LAN activity (i.e. wireless printing from your
>> laptop).
>
> We would need extra code to handle these protocols.

Sure, I don't know how the voice stuff is meant to work from the point of view
of a computer as one end of a call.

>> In some instances the FreeBSD box will have to be a some form of
>> controller which manages the routing of the network.
>>
>> [tutorial snipped]. Sorry, I meant the device driver and network
>> stack framework!
>
> Device drivers, no.  Networking infrastructure, yes.

Well as the spec. isn't finished for SWAP no has anything anyway, Bluetooth is a
bit different as there is a complete spec. from one of the core companies, but
this is likely to change as more people get involved.

These technologies aren't going to hit the streets for a couple of years yet and
as they are literally industry standards who knows how "Open" they will be. Lets
hope that we don't get into an I2O situtation.

Duncan

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

---