Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 23:18:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      sycheng@cis.ufl.edu
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   [HELP] Cannot boot

  Hi :

    I don't know if this is a FAQ but I really need your help.

    I just try to install FreeBSD-current into a Quantum 1280MB HD, which
  is attached to a Promise EIDE2300plus card. It is using LBA mode.

    Whenever I tried to boot it from OS-BS boot manager, first it showed
  "boot:", after press enter, it then showed "|" and all system was hanging
  there. All I can do is to press the reset button.

    I've tried the following combinations but in vain :

      1. Whole drive is dedicated to FreeBSD. (one partition).
      2. FreeBSD is in the 1st partition.
      3. 1st partition is MSDOS primary, 2nd partition is FreeBSD.
      4. Use DOS fdisk to create a DOS primary/extend partition, and then
	 change the partition ID to FreeBSD.

    The funny thing is that I can use "fbsdboot" to boot it from DOS. Oh,
  by the way, if I installed the FreeBSD on a 420MB HD which is attached to
  the secondary IDE bus the it is also bootable.

    I am going to be crazy. Would someone please tell me where I was doing
  wrong ?

    Thanks a million.

--
Cheng, Hsiao-Yang   Graduate Student           ___   .  TEL: 3 5 2 - 3 3
Department of Computer Information Science    /   \ /                    8