Date:      Sat, 04 Jul 1998 14:00:57 -0300
From:      Patrick Walker <pwalker@nb.sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I'm having trouble.

I hope this is the right address.  I've gone through most of the FAQs
and tried just about
everything.

Okay.
First I have an Acer AP5t Motherboard.  I set the BIOS PnP OS to No.  I
read somewhere on the
site that this might prevent the blue-screen 'probing devices' screen
from going into what seems to
be an infinte loop reading/writing to either or both of my HDDs.

First HDD: 3.2, 500 MB Primary (C:) is for Win95.  The remaining is
extended partition for Windows
programs and stuff (E:).

Second HDD: 6.4. 500 MB Primaruy (D:) is set aside for FreeBSD.  The
remaining is an extended
dos partition.  They're both Fujitsu.

When building kernel, it keeps detecting SCSI cards and every network
card. I have neither.

I disabled my IOMega Ditto drive.  If Jaz and Zips make FreeBSD
difficult the odds are pretty good
the Ditto will do the same.

And if that isn't enough, I have an ATI All-in-Wonder.  I disabled all
the serial ports (mach 64 interferes
with 2e8).

When I run the full screen kernel setup, I removed all the conflicts,
not only that the only things I leave
are the FDC, HDD controllers and bus mouse.  There are no conflicts
anymore, but when I proceed
to the next screen all I get is a block mouse cursor in the corner, the
FD runs for 5 seconds, lights
go off on my CD and my HDDs go for a bit.  Then nothing.  It's dead.

When I pass over the kernel setup screen I get a screen full of vanilla
text.  They appear to find
everything and I get to the blue probe devices screen and the HDDs just
run and run and run
in a circle.  It's the 3.2 GB