Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 2003 20:02:35 -0700
From:      Joseph Maxwell <jemaxwell@jaymax.com>
To:        Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: O/S - System upgrade with CVS (Jez Hancock)

Hi Jez,
I have read the Handbook 3rd edition, the cvs man pages, printed the Online Chapter 19  and read them a few times already, although I will admit that not everything is fully clear. However the problem I am experiencing is in the:

"make buildworld"  stage 4: building libraries
causing an error condition

        cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/src/gnu/lib/csu/../../../contrib/gcc/config -I. -DIN_GCC  -finhibit-size-directive -fno-inline-functions
          -fno-exceptions -fno-omit-frame-pointer  -g0 -DCRT_BEGIN  -c -o crtbegin.o  /usr/src/gnu/lib/csu/../../../contrib/gcc/crtstuff.c

          *** Signal 10

          Stop in /usr/src/gnu/lib/csu.
          *** Error code 1

          Stop in /usr/src.
          *** Error code 1

          Stop in /usr/src.
          *** Error code 1

          Stop in /usr/src.
          *** Error code 1

          Stop in /usr/src.

Where can I find an explanation of the error  codes, these are not available in the online manual , are they? at least then I may be able to start deciphering something about the problem. All. I have now is that something is amiss in the crtstuff.c file of which I have 3 on my desk,

  1. /usr/local/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/crtstuff.c
  2. /usr/src/contrib/gcc/crtstuff.c
  3. /usr/home/maxwell/downloads/gcc/nu042803/gcc-3.2.3/gcc/crtstuff.c

1 is a pre - production untarring file, 2 is the one just downloaded via the cvs supfile and 3 the initial download of gcc used in 1, I am assuming, and from all indications it is using #2 .
But the error code legend will go a far way for me in figuring out what is going on.
Thanks
--  Joe  --