Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:27:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is it me, or is cvsup.de.freebsd.org AWOL?

Moin, moin!

I hope this is the right place for me to ask this question...

Have I been added to some block list from cvsup.de.freebsd.org?
(Should I worry in general about such things?)  Or is something
else wrong, either with that machine, or my ISP?

I've just succeeded in downloading everything for a full cvsup
mirror of FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and a couple others.  Due to
my current connectivity, the best sites are in .de, with cvsup.de
being pretty much the best, and I hit it pretty hard over the
weekend.

Now I'm using cvsup5.de for all the FreeBSD source, and just trying
to use cvsup.de for the rsync'ed mail and gnats archives once or
twice a day from each, since my path to cvsup5 looks slightly better.
But from this morning, I cannot connect to the cvsup port on cvsup.de,
while it refuses connects on other ports and is reachable by traceroute:
bash-2.05a$ telnet cvsup.de.freebsd.org. 5999
Trying 3ffe:400:8d0:100::1...
Trying 213.83.6.106...
^C

I'm connected through dclient217.162.foo.bar.hispeed.ch recently
(or whatever address pointed to by `cvsup.netscum.dyndns.dk'),
so alternatively this Cabal Modem provider could have looked at my
usage and said ``2,5 gigabytes in less than 24 hours?!?!?  GRRR!!!
<clickety-click>'' if nothing has been done at cvsup.de...

I'd be happy to eventually be running `cvsup.ch.freebsd.org' at some
later time, but it would probably be best if I relocate that machine
to facilities donated by a local ISP such as TDC Schweiz or similar,
unless it's okay for a cvsup mirror to be on the slow end of a Cabal
Modem (the alternatives are for traffic to leave .ch), in which case
I'd have to relocate the machine to a 24/7 location that my girlfriend
won't complain about being unable to sleep.  This might be easier than
sweet-talking the local ISPs, if Cabal Modem speed is okay.  Let me know.

(No, I haven't yet setup cvsupd on this address -- it's only an idea
that I had)

thnks,
barry bouwsma