Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2016 14:55:26 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd happening with Firefox

On 09/01/16 14:39, Mike Clarke wrote:
> I'm experiencing a  problem that only happens with Firefox on FreeBSD.
>
> I'm running 10.3-RELEASE-p7, in the past I've always managed to access
> /http://www.cumbria-libraries.org.uk//[1] but recently I've started to consistently get 404
> errors with Firefox (both firefox-47.0.1_2,1 & firefox-esr-45.3.0,1) but the page works
> without problems with Chrome, Midori, Konqueror and Lynx. The page also works fine with
> firefox-47.0.1 on Windows 7 and  firefox-46.0.1 on Linux Backbox.
>
> This makes it look very much like a FreeBSD specific issue with that site but to help me
> establish if it's a general problem or something unique to just my system could somebody
> try to access /http://www.cumbria-libraries.org.uk//[2] with Firefox from a FreeBSD system
> and let me know what happens. It should give a 301 redirect to
> /http://cmbr.ent.sirsidynix.net.uk/client/en_GB/default//[3] - the home page for the Cumbria
> Libraries Interactive Catalogue. With Firefox I see the 301 redirect but then get an
> immediate 404 error from cmbr.ent.sirsidynix.net.uk.
>
> I'm trying to think what could cause the server to send me the 404 when I use Firefox, it's
> not caused by the user agent string because I've tried both lynx and fetch with the user
> agent string set to match Firefox and they both work OK.

I get the following:

System Error
We're sorry; this application has encountered an error. You may try
clicking the browser Back button to return to the previous page or
clicking the button below to return to the library's home page. If you
get this error again, contact the library for assistance.

with a button to 'return to home page'. That does indeed apparently
work, returns me to a functioning page.

FreeBSD kabini1.local 9.3-RELEASE-p43 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p43 #0: Sat
May 28 00:19:32 UTC 2016
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

--

	William A. Mahaffey III