Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2012 13:51:53 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jan Mikkelsen <janm@transactionware.com>
Subject:   Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240 with mfi driver?

On Monday, April 16, 2012 10:15:10 pm Jan Mikkelsen wrote:
>=20
> On 17/04/2012, at 2:32 AM, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
>=20
> > Jan Mikkelsen writes:
=20
Looks
ate=20
> > |=20
> > | I have just imported the mfi(4) and mfiutil(8) into a 9.0-RELEASE tre=
e=20
to=20
> > | try this out.
> > |=20
> > | When booting up with two fresh drives attached, they show up as usabl=
e=20
> > | JBOD disks. However, I cannot use mfiutil to create anything with the=
m.=20
> > | Every drive gives
> > |=20
> > |    "mfiutil: Drive n not available"
> >=20
> > You might want to include the output of:
> > 	mfiutil show drives
> > and then the command you are trying to do to create a RAID with.
> >=20
> > | Is this expected behaviour? How can I create a raid1 volume using=20
> > | mfiutil and clean disks?
> >=20
> > I'm not sure if mfiutil can switch disks from JBOD mode to RAID.
> > I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.  It can't go from RAID to=20
> > real JBOD mode since it doesn't have code to support that.
> >=20
> > | I tried using MegaCli from the LSI website (versions 8.02.16 and
> > | 8.02.21), but they can't even detect the controller. I know you
> > | said at some point that a very recent version of MegaCli was=20
> > | required. What version is necessary?
> >=20
> > What was the syntax you used since usage is cryptic?  I've never
> > seen a MegaCli that couldn't access the card.  What I meant by
> > more recent MegaCli is earlier versions didn't have the JBOD
> > commands in it.  I have a 8.00.46 that knows about JBOD.
>=20
> The MegaCli problem was an embarrassing operator error which I can't blam=
e=20
on the bad UI.
>=20
> "mfiutil create jbod =85" doesn't create a JBOD disk, it creates a raid0=
=20
volume. I think that was expected. The biggest problem with this controller=
=20
and just mfiutil is that you can't get a drive from the JBOD state to the=20
unconfigured-good state, and a blank disk starts in JBOD. So to do any setu=
p=20
you need to resort to the BIOS utility or MegaCli.
>=20
> For each disk to change from JBOD to "Unconfigured-good" so that it can b=
e=20
used to create a volume, I needed to do:
>=20
>    MegaCli -PDMakeGood -Physdrv '[64:1]' -force -a0
>=20
> Obviously with the right drivespec.  Once they're in this state I can use=
=20
mfiutil to create volumes.
>=20
> I can get drives from the unconfigured-good state to JBOD by doing "MegaC=
li=20
=2DPDMakeJBOD =85".=20
>=20
> This is just in a little test machine with a few drives. Now that it is=20
working to this level I will get a server with a 9240 and give it a proper=
=20
run. I'll also try the driver out in one of the 9261 based servers we've go=
t=20
here.
>=20
> Thanks!

It should be very easy to add a 'good' command to mfiutil.  Actually, there=
=20
already is a 'good' command.  Have you tried using that?

# mfiutil good <n>

=2D-=20
John Baldwin