Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 09:31:13 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-docs@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>, Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install Preview (was Re: (was) I'm leaving, now something like "anti official docs rant" :) )

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 03:13:58PM -0400, Randy Pratt wrote:

> The versions prior to 4.3 used html tables as "screenshots" with a lot of
> formatting to produce views that were very close to that seen during
> installation.
>
> I used XV to capture the html table views and convert them to 8 bit png
> images. These were used instead of the html tables to ease the conversion to
> sgml. If you take a look at the source of the 4.2 previews, the tables would
> be difficult (if not impossible) to convert to sgml and a problem to maintain.

One of the things I've always loved about this doc is that people using
text browsers like lynx get the "picture" too. Most people who use lynx
do so because they have no alternative (low memory machine or broken X
config or security restriction on the spare machine, or blind user) and
it is often so easy to include support for them if only a little
forethought is given to the task.

In that respect you've done very well, Randy. It would be a shame if
those people lost their text "pictures" due to the demands of progress,
but I guess that's gotta happen one day. If it does, please hang on to
the old documents because they will still be more valuable than "[IMAGE]"
even if they refer to a different version of FreeBSD.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-