Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2014 04:43:39 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        atar <atar.yosef@gmail.com>
Cc:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>, Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using the ISO releases on USB sticks.

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:26:51 +0300, atar wrote:
 > Thanks for your great detail response!
 >
 > You've written:
 >
 > > I've just seen Matthias Apitz' post; more complicated but thorough.
 >

 > Can you point me to this post's URL?

Well sure, but it's just a couple of messages earlier than these ones
with the same subject, so I'm wondering why you missed it?

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2014-September/261025.html

Use the [thread] link from there to see if you missed any others?

 > Also, I'll be glad to hear if you succeeded to boot the 'img' file
 > which you've created with the above script from an USB stick.

Sure; I used this to make a 10.0-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1-memstick.img which
booted and installed fine, modulo the packages issue mentioned; after
that I installed 9.2-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1-memstick.img on a Thinkpad X200,
including the DVD packages as 9.2-R still used the old pkg_add tools.

In case not obvious, you still need to dd the .img to the memstick :)

cheers, Ian