Date:      14 Mar 2003 19:10:43 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fbsd box as router AND natd

Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:

> fbsdq wrote:
> > Hello,
> >    I was wondering if this is possible and how to do it.  I just got
> > a t1 installed with limited IP's.  I want my FreeBSD box to act as a
> > router to all those office pc's with my limited public IP's, and
> > when I run out of those I want it to also act as a natd box to my
> > 10.x.x.x ip addresses.  Do I need three nics to get this done? One
> > for outside interface, one for public ip inside interface [router],
> > and a third one for inside public ip interface [natd]?  I know how
> > to do natd, but for it to act as a router what do I need in
> > /etc/rc.conf, will just gateway_enable=YES do? or do I need to run
> > routed?
>
> Yes, you can do this.  No, you don't need two network cards.

You *should* have two.  You don't need three, though.  [You could do
it with one, but your ISP would have a right to be annoyed with you.]

> Use the -unregistered_only option to natd to tell it only to
> translate RFC-1918 addressed (so your public addresses get
> routed without translation)  Set up the internal network card
> with an IP in the 10.x.x.x range, as well as a public IP.  Then
> the machines with Public IPs can route through without translation,
> but natd will translate the private ones.

You shouldn't need a public IP on the inside interface.  Putting a
public IP on the outside interface should be good enough.

> Without knowing more about the layout of your network and the IPs
> involved, I can't give more details.  Your ISP may need to add a
> routing rule to get traffic to route successfully back to you.

As long as you've got two cards, this shouldn't be a problem.  They
shouldn't be seeing your internal traffic, and your external traffic
will all be using the public IP addresses they've already given you.

By "you," incidentally, I mean the original poster, or anybody else
following a similar scheme.