Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:46:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc script problem - pidfile not being recognised

RW via freebsd-ports wrote:
> It needs both. It won't use just the pid file because the pid
> might have been reassigned to another process if the original daemon
> died without deleting its pid file.

Why would this rc script *require* a command_interpreter variable to use
the pidfile variable?  I'm curious because this violates KIS, the
principle of least surprise and few rc scripts seem to have this variable
defined.

Using command_interpreter is good to be sure, for for the reason listed,
but rc scripts should not fail if it is undefined.

IMO,
Roger Marquis