Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:27:05 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Dave Johnson <davej@wsnet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW problem

Dave Johnson wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am having a problem with ipfw.
>
> Please have a look at www.pastebin.com/597707
>
> I could not ping anything so I hashed out line 62 & 70
>
> Now I can ping 192.168.0.2 but not 192.168.0.1.
>
> Also browsing and email is not working.

Um.  Your IPFW rules don't seem to make a whole lot of sense [1], but I would
imagine the specific problem is:

53	$cmd 00300 deny all from 192.168.0.0/16 to any in via $pif

...try adding the log keyword to each deny line and you will get more useful
information from the packet filter rules.

--
-Chuck

[1]: Please re-examine the sample rulesets in /etc/rc.firewall, and be aware
that you need to adjust your anti-spoofing rules if you actually use RFC-1918
unroutable subnets, which you seem to be doing.

The fact that your "external interface" is pointing to a 192.168.0.1 default
router means that some other device is already doing NAT, so you should possibly
re-evaluate doing NAT on the FreeBSD system as well.  Chaining multiple levels
of NAT translation together is generally painful without even considering the
difficulty of setting up sane firewall rules to describe the topology.