Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:30:38 -0800
From:      Zev Thompson <zev@interchange.ubc.ca>
To:        Hanif Ladha <hanif@ladha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some h/w recommendations please...

The Samsung 17" 750S (0.24 dpi 1280s1024) that I have is pretty nice,
it's $235 here in Vancouver.

For the CPU, I'd recommend an Athlon XP over either the P3 or the P4
on the basis of higher performance and lower price. But if you get a P4,
make sure you don't get a socket 423 one (ie. the ones that most
distributors are trying to get rid of), as you'll limit your upgrade options
severely in that case as Intel moves to socket 478 - they have already
started doing this, so you can get socket 478 P4s, but I don't know
how much that will cost you.

Ram is starting to go up in price, but you're right that more than 512
seems a bit like overkill at this point. By the time you need more than
that, there's a good chance that the standards will have changed again,
making any excess ram you buy today not too useful. Of course, there
are probably people on this list who have legitimate uses for more than
512 MB of ram, but I'm not one of them ;)

Zev