Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2018 11:17:06 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A few build system questions

--zO67tjHzJp5CWgF4wa1SK9BCgUbGQeGCw
From: Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

--5hDHdUhoE0hufgw29YmlCoCm97Opiprhp

Hi,

I have a few questions about how to accomplish some things with the
build system.

First, I want to create some libraries that exist only as static
archives, meaning no shared object (ex. libsomething.a, but no
libsomething.so)

Second, how do I arrange to have sources be generated prior to the
build?  I can probably get away with having a shell script that does it,
but I may require a tool to be built.

Third, how would I go about creating a kind of derived library- that is,
one created by invoking a whole bunch of linker/objcopy/etc commands on
some other library?  That is to say, "I want to get libsomething.a by
running this script that processes libsomethingelse.a".

Thanks,
Eric